The upside down.
Melbourne lockdown may have turned your world upside down. You have two choices; throw in the towel or take control of the things you can and free your head of that impending sense of doom.
Years ago working at a school I noticed the younger teachers would let loose on their holidays. I’ve nothing but the utmost respect for teachers, they are under-valued, under-paid and perform an incredibly stressful yet admirable job. However with the newer teachers as soon as the structure of the work week was gone their routine went out the window.
That’s exactly what may be in store for many of us now. So how to avoid it? Create structure where there is none, boundaries & routine. As the saying goes there is freedom in discipline, both physically and mentally.
Think about it, what are some things you would like to achieve during this period? No grandiose schemes that you may not be able to achieve, what are the small (yet powerful) steps.
The simpler and easier to achieve the better. Like:
- Reach out to loved ones each day, or stepping back from relationships/obligations that rob you of your energy.
- Get 8 hours sleep, or getting to bed by 10pm to get a better quality!- Get in 10000+ steps a day, motion is lotion.
- Get in 2+ litres of water a day, this impacts our cognitive function, bowel movements, and the bodies natural detoxification processes.-
- Choose the media you are exposed to: a book/podcast/video that will teach you a new skill, make you laugh or how something simple to relax, rather than 24/7 news coverage, conspiracy theories/general doom and gloom
- Learn how to make nutritious meals that you enjoy and take minimal time.
- Keep a journal on your thoughts, activities, food, anything that impacts the way you think and feel about yourself and the world. Awareness can be a powerful motivator.
- Commit to 2-3 workouts a week, outside with a friend or online with a coach/class to keep you accountable.
Nailing a couple of these will make a difference, freeing your headspace for more mental clarity and physical energy. Stay safe and healthy!